Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce

Tuesday, March 25, 2014


A few days ago I told you I could pretty much count on one hand how many times I've cooked in the last few weeks.  One of the things I have been cooking like crazy is spaghetti squash.  Have you tried?  I'm not sure what took me so long to jump on this bandwagon but man oh man, I just can't get enough!  And I am here to turn you into a spaghetti squash lover too.

Not really but really, you must try it.  It's so easy to make and it tastes delicious and is healthy too!  Winning all around!

The idea of spaghetti squash intimidated me a bit at first but I think that was only because I had no idea how to make one.  It's so easy though I promise!  All you have to do is cut the squash down the center and take out the guts of it (it looks like a pumpkin on the inside so you need to scrape out the stringy stuff and the seeds).  

Side note: does anyone know what that stringy stuff is even called?  I'm convinced there is no formal name to it...just stringy stuff.

I digress.

Once you've cleaned out your squash, put it on a pan face up and put a little olive oil all over it. Bake it at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  After I made this, my mother-in-law told me she cooks hers face down with a quarter cup of water on the bottom of the pan and it's ready to go at 40 minutes.  I'll be trying this way next time.

Once you've allowed it to cool for long enough, take a fork and start shredding the insides out of the shell.  It will come out completely looking like spaghetti noodles but with none of the carbs!  The softer the spaghetti squash the easier this will be.  I bet this would taste great with just a little salt and pepper and Parmesan cheese on top but I added a homemade marinara sauce and it tasted just like spaghetti!


Homemade Marinara Sauce

One can tomato sauce
One can tomato paste
Cherry tomatoes cut up
One small onion
Olive oil
Minced garlic
Basil leaves
Oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and garlic.  Saute for two to three minutes, then add the rest of the ingredients.  I don't have specific measurements simply because I just kept throwing ingredients in but you can adjust the amount of each ingredient to your taste buds.  Cook on medium for about 30 minutes.  Use a wooden spoon to mash up the tomatoes in the sauce.  Remove the basil leaves before serving.  I added a little grated Parmesan cheese on top.

Serve warm over the spaghetti squash.

5 comments:

  1. I love spaghetti squash as well! I usually make mine in the microwave - about 10-15 minutes - because it is usually too hot to turn the oven on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so much quicker than the oven...unfortunately I don't have that problem where it's too hot (although I wish I did) but I have to remember the microwave idea for next time. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I am always terrified to try this! What if I hate it? Lol! It looks so good...maybe I'll have to FINALLY try it!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan