Huevos Rancheros

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Huevos Rancheros.  Also known as the best breakfast ever.

The first time I had this was Mothers Day of 2011 at a restaurant that we waited way too long to get our food at.  I'd never heard of it before but I figured it would be pretty darn hard to mess up eggs and salsa so it was worth a shot.  Oh my god.  I fell in love.

Fast forward three years and I heard it mentioned on a television show I was watching.  I had completely forgotten about it after my heavenly meal how many years ago and I have been talking about it for a month now since I saw that show.  I (finally) decided to make it and it was just as good as the first time I remember.  We will now be eating Huevos Rancheros on the regular here in the Campbell household.


Huevos Rancheros
Serves two

Ingredients 
2 corn tortillas
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 small head of romaine lettuce
1 small can (7oz) refried beans
1 cup of favorite salsa
2 large eggs

Directions
1) Heat the oven at 400 degrees and bake tortillas on sheet pan for 5 to 7 minutes depending on your oven. 
2) While the tortillas bake, place a small sauce pan on the stove and add the beans. Turn that to low, stirring occasionally. 
3) Place a medium skillet on the stove and add the salsa. Cook on medium and once the salsa starts to bubble, use a spoon to make two small spaces in the salsa evenly separated apart. Crack an egg into each space. 
4) Cover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are still soft to touch.
5) To assemble, put the tortilla on the plate, then add the refried beans, shredded lettuce, and layer the eggs and salsa on top of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan