THE DIVORCE DEBATE

Monday, June 9, 2014


Lately I’ve had the itch.  I’m dying to redecorate our house.  Like every-single-room-add-more-holes-in-the-walls-cover-up-more-holes-get-fresh-paint-on-the-roller-brush-the-whole-nine-yeards redo.

The house we live in right now is the first house we ever owned.  When we moved in, it was a hodge podge mess of my old childhood furniture and college dishes and lamps along with Andrew’s old couches that he bought from his previous roommates and hand me down tables.  Guys, it was a mess.  The couches were so gross, I bought couch covers for them and pretended they were brand new (except I was constantly adjusting those covers and when they had to get washed, there wasn’t a dang place to sit in the living room anymore because Lord knows I wasn’t going to sit on them couches without a cover).  It was comical really.

After we got married, we took some of our wedding money and hightailed it to IKEA.  It’s forever our one stop shop since the stuff is great and the prices are right.  But maybe they were too right.  We literally bought EVERYTHING from that store and furnished our house.  Every single piece of furniture (except for the dining room table and Addison’s rocker which was a gift) on the first floor is from IKEA.  Everything from the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling in the dining room and kitchen down to the picture frames that are hanging on the living room walls are from IKEA.  Even our bathroom sink and kitchen countertops are from the friendly folks at IKEA.

By the way, this is not a sponsored post.  Funny how that needs to be mentioned when you’re a blogger.

Clearly we have much love for that store but as I look around now, we don’t have much of a story behind the things we own.  Pieces of artwork and the things hanging on our walls mostly have some sort of significance but the artifacts, though pretty to look at, don’t have much meaning.

And I’ve been thinking about the difference between what makes a house and what makes a home.  What looks staged and what looks inviting.  I figure if you love it, it’ll look great no matter what anyone else thinks.  Well when we bought out IKEA two years ago, I really really liked it.  But it wasn’t love.  No sir.  Love is something that is trial and error.  Love is something that you have to dig around to find; you don’t just find it in one place.  Love is found in many different places at many different times in your life.

So that’s where I’m at.  I am going on the hunt to find things to fill my home that I love.  They don’t have to be sentimental or have a huge story behind them but they have to be good.  We have to love them.  A unique piece I find on Etsy that someone poured their heart and soul into making or a basket that I couldn’t pass up because it would look perfect to house all our blankets from a thrift store.  Handmade pieces by yours truly that will no doubt take a minimum of three tries before I get it right.  It’s going to take time to create whatever look I’m going for and if I ever do decide to go bare bones with our house and start from scratch, it’s going to be bare bones for a really long time.

But that’s the fun of it, isn’t it?  The hunt, the search.  Digging around for that perfect something that you can’t put your finger on but you know it when you see it.

So yes, as of today, I am divorcing my home decorating style.  It’s been fun but I’m ready to move on to bigger and better things.  Please don’t cry; it’s not you, it’s me.

sources: one // two // three // four // five // six

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I totally agree with buying things you *love* to decorate with. A home should tell a story. Ikea is great for some things though, I have a couple mirrors and the hemnes bedroom set...and I do love it!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan