I RAN EVERY DAY FROM THANKSGIVING TO NEW YEARS AND IT DIDN'T KILL ME

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

in november, i decided to set myself a challenge. i was going to run at least one mile every day from the saturday after thanksgiving to new years day. things had been so go go go up until then with the move and the house showings and blah blah blah that i hadn’t actually moved or done any type of working out since god only knows how long. so i figured why not? it takes 10-12 minutes to run one mile and if i couldn’t find ten extra minutes in my day to devote to my health and well-being, i had a much bigger problem.

so i did it. there were a couple days i missed (four to be exact). two of those days were because of family in town and the other two were because the wind was so bad and/or it was raining that i couldn’t run outside because andrew was out of town and hello i don’t want my baby getting pneumonia.

but the goal actually made a difference in my life. it forced me out of the house with or without the baby, depending on the day or time of day.

in the beginning i was excited about getting out and running every day. five or six days in i was over it and really had to push myself off the chair after i put on my running shoes and pep talk my way through it. by day fourteen or fifteen i never thought twice about throwing on my running shoes, bundling addison up and going for that run. it was working itself quite nicely into our routine.

i ran the same subdivision every day. i didn’t belong to a gym making treadmills not an option so i created different routes for myself that i would run. i ran when it was sunny. i ran when it was raining. i ran when it was really foggy. i ran happy. i ran sad. i ran frustrated. i ran content. i ran so fast i didn’t recognize myself and i ran so slow that i could hardly tell that i was moving. one day i walked because andrew was home and feeling a walk too so yeah it counted. but every time i got home from my run, i felt accomplished. and good about myself and my body.

and so it began. a hopeful habit. i took the next few days off of running after the new year and the next few days has somehow turned into two weeks. we are on day fourteen of the new year and i am going to the new gym i just joined on monday to start getting my body moving again. maybe it will be all running. maybe it won’t be. but i’m going to move again this year and i’m excited and in need of it.

let’s do this.

6 comments:

  1. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. Oh girl yes. I love this so much. I think the fact that you said "at least a mile" just changed my whole mindset on running. Because you're right. Not every run has to be 3+ miles. And sometimes it's more important to do SOMETHING vs nothing. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the most I ever ran one day was 1.4 miles. It felt so good to just get out there and get moving instead of thinking that I needed to commit a ton of time and energy to it. Best of luck girl!

      Delete
  2. Yay!! Good for you!! Sometimes it just feels so good to move around! And remind yourself that you're doing a lot more than most people are!! Have fun at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you!! Go girl! I force myself to get up and work out in the mornings before work because I know it is the only time I will make myself do it. Otherwise I have excuses. I think it is all about finding what works for you and keeping yourself motivated! Best wishes at your new gym!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way. If I wait until the late afternoon or evening, the odds of it actually happening are so slim!

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan