2. read a book. instead of using my spare time to catch up on some mindless television, i find myself reaching for a good book more and more. now that doesn't mean that i've cut out TV, i mean let's not be ridiculous. but i have been reading a lot more and it's been giving my brain more to think about.
3. get moving. i've made it a point to incorporate exercise into my weekly routine. i usually work out to some sort of DVD at least four or five times a week. i still haven't joined a gym and i'm sure i will soon but doing a workout DVD has worked really well for me. i exercise when amelia takes her morning nap and addison busies herself with a game or book. she enjoys watching me exercise and encourages me and i get a good sweat session in. the three of us also go on daily walks and yes, it's good exercise but i mostly do it to avoid that after dinner before bed slump that the girls get in to!
4. plan on being early. this is NOT EASY for me. growing up, my family and i were always late. it happens to everybody and i thought it was a pretty common thing but i'm realizing more and more that when i'm late, it drives me crazy. i've been trying a trick lately where i tell myself we need to be in the car ten minutes earlier than we really do. that way when we leave five minutes late, I know I'm still early even if I'm not according to my original plan. (does that even make sense to anybody?)
5. think twice about what i'm eating. this has pretty much been my mantra for 2016. after amelia was born in december of last year, i told myself i was really going to focus on watching what i was eating and only treating myself to something if i really wanted it. so yes, if there's a piece of apple pie or cupcake sitting on the table, i'm going to eat it. but i'm also going to keep things in perspective. do i need the whole bag of chips or will a few bites do? do i really want that soda or will a glass of water with lemon work? i'm not in my teens or twenties anymore and my metabolism isn't what it used to be so reminding myself to think twice has been working for me.
7. drink more water. anybody who's been around here for a while knows i.suck.at.drinking.water. it's just a fact. my newest trick and probably not a surprise for anybody. find a great cup you like to use. i have a specific cup that i wash and use everyday and throughout the day i fill up my water cup and squirt a little MIO into it (not sponsored, just love the stuff). it gives it added flavor and makes me drink more!
8. put my phone down. from the time i start dinner, usually about 4:30, to the time the girls go to bed (7:30), i try to always put my phone away. there's no reason why i can't give them my undivided attention during that time. the only time i will bring my phone out during that time is if we FaceTime with our family but otherwise that's when the girls and i pull out all the books, i get down on the floor and play with them, most nights resulting in them crawling all over me. but that's alright because it's me giving them my undivided attention and that's what matters. plus it's FUN. we laugh the hardest during those evening hours.
do you do anything that helps de-stress yourself? i'm always curious and open to more suggestions!